Thursday 16 April 2015

Don't You Honey Me

Terms of endearment. Such a misnomer. They have always made me cringe. I am an Indian, so being called sweetheart, dear, honey, by our parents was not a common thing growing up. These words are, just like plenty of other things, a foreign export. I have nothing against Western concepts being assimilated into our society. Mutual exchange of customs has always been a norm. And globalisation has only helped speed the process. The more we are alike in terms of the good things, the better. The world will be a better place. No, we won't lose our identities if we let go of some of our more backward traditions. Negatives do not define us. Positives do. But, when we are exporting certain cultural things from anywhere in the world, we are also exporting the history associated with them. Nothing really exists without precedence. I am simply tired of reminding people that I do not like being called "dear" and "honey". There even exists a Bengali term of endearment that is spoken with the same tone of faux familiarity and a hint of condescension as these English words. That famous term is "babu". Older people calling me that is fine (does that make me a practitioner of ageism somehow?). But, really when a peer calls me that it's an absolute no-no. Terms of endearment are mostly used by people who tend to habitually use them while talking to pretty much everyone they know. I once knew a girl (who is happily married now) in my UG class who said the word "babu" so often, she once called a professor that, by mistake of course. You get the picture right? If a loved one, in a truly endearing way calls me any of these terms, I will still cringe because of my past and ongoing experience with these words. They all seem seeped in dubious hypocrisy and insincere candour. They try to forge a forced bond of familiarity between the speaker and the one spoken to, no matter whether their encounter lasts 5 minutes or continues sporadically over decades. 


I have been trying to find out if my sentiments are echoed around the world or if there is just something wrong with me. I have compiled a list of articles you might be interested in reading on this issue and gain some perspective.

  1. DON’T Call Me Dear!
  2. Don't patronise me, Darling
  3. Frankly, my dear: Why Terms of Endearment are Not Ok
  4. I'm not your honey, darling, sweetheart, dear, ducky, or any other diminutive creature
Don't forget to share your thoughts on this.

Follow us on Project Curve

13 comments:

  1. sympathise generally
    frankly my dear can be funny if one is quoting gone with the wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True true...anybody referencing films is generally in my good books. They can even call me honey bunny or pumpkin and I would smile...provided they know where that's from

      Delete
  2. hey debi! i'm loving the new space! lots of older people would say those things. i never liked it either. then my neighbor (who was a guy and married), kept calling me AND EVERY OTHER GIRL sweetie! it made me cringe. HaHaHa I hate sweetie! ended up he was slime. kicked the wife out...was cheating on her. thank god he's gone! LOL i added you to bloglovin. will keep in touch.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! For the compliments and for sharing your opinion :)

      Delete
  3. I find that anyone who use these terms of endearment are doing so in order to establish some sort of intimacy in a short period of time. Such meaningless attempts at closeness make me cringe too. Many of my (former) dates had to learn exactly how much the hard way. Well, they are "former" dates for a reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes a lot to offend me. Whilst being referred to by younger women as "hun" is cringe worthy and "darlin'" by men is a bit creepy, terms like "love", "chick" and "mate" are British colloquialisms used by men and women throughout the UK. No harm is meant, it's just friendly banter. xxx
    PS Great new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Vix.
      That's the point about terms of endearment. The people they are coming from and the context matter greatly.

      Delete
  5. I HATE people who call me dear in spite of being just acquaintances!!
    But I can honey you...right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not if you want me to pour honey on you and then lock you in a room with Soumi

      Delete
  6. I prefer being called by my first name(or one of my nicknames in case of people I know only as a part of extended family). I'd have preferred it more had my name not had such an immediate cringe-worthy connotation. :-P But, having said that, I also don't feel very strongly. I've been called 'babe' and 'sweetheart' extensively and it failed to bother me much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post, darling ;)

    Emma | http://www.fluffandfripperies.com/

    ReplyDelete