Monday 4 June 2012

Maang Tika

Have you ever tried to paint a beautiful picture with colours, failed miserably and then taken to words instead and refused to think if it was a success or another failure to add to the list? Have you tied your dreams to a place and forgotten how you got there in your mind? Have you incessantly dreamt of flying only to wake up to find yourself still tethered to the ground?
I start daydreaming. I think of beautiful things, images, with strands of lyrics of songs floating around in my mind. I start wondering about things that would happen if I had full control of things and thoughts of the uncertain future disappear, even if for a little while. The Chanel Paris-Bombay Collection was so beautiful I haven't been able to forget about it yet. I can start creating stories in my head thinking of the elements in the show. The maang tikas looked so beautiful. I am pretty sure you have seen maang tikas by now.
The maang is the chain and the tika is the pendant. I am not really sure what is the "correct" spelling, I have seen "mangteeka", "mang-tika", "maang tikka". I think the spelling I'm using makes sense as it is pronounced that way, emphasis on two "aa"-s and the single "k". It is one of the essential jewellery pieces for Indian brides to wear on wedding day. It is also worn as a part of the costume during classical Indian dance performances. The tika is traditionally designed to sit on the 6th chakra, ajna, the eye of intuition according to Hinduism. But now I'm pretty sure it is just a part of the whole bridal look and one can opt not to wear it even if one is getting married the traditional way.

honestly Rekha in Umrao Jaan was the first person I thought of when thinking of beautiful maang tikas
a Bharatnatyam dancer..notice the dramatic fish eye-liner and red bindi?
Meena Kumari in Pakeezah
Chanel Pre-Fall 2012
Chanel Pre-Fall 2012
I'm signing off with this beautiful picture....see the note tucked in between her toes which is painted in aalta?
Dia Mirza in April 2010 Harper's Bazaar wearing Amrapali maang tika



17 comments:

  1. I didn't know the neam of this kind of jewels but I think that they are so feminine....

    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Bloglovin'
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pieces! They look very rich and royal.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Indian way of beauty, those women are so beautiful!

    xoxo, Alessia

    THE CHILI COOL


    FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Indian jewelry, saris, and the make-up! Man...I cannot pull off eye make-up like that but it's gorgeous! I would wear a maang-tika if it was part of the wardrobe that I had to attend a traditional Indian function.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always facinated by these jewelleries on nose stud on these woman, very fancy at the same time:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for letting us know what this beautiful piece of adornment is called! Maang tika ... it is my favorite piece of Indian jewelry. While I don't have one per se, I've sometimes tried to adapt a necklace for the same purpose, pinning it on to my hair. You are so fortunate to come from a culture of colors and jewels! -- J xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right. That's beautiful. I wonder how it'll translate to every day fashion.

    I look online for inspiration too. Love visiting bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT POST:) I like your blog and Im following..I hope you follow me back:)

    have a great week.

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWW thank you for sweet words on my blog:) I like yours to.

    have a great weekend.

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love such posts, they are so inspiring. :)

    Maang tikas are indeed pretty, adding desi to any outfit. Love the Chanel one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maang Tikas are really pretty. Adding desi to any outfit!
    I love the Chanel one.

    Very nice post. Inspiring!

    Love,
    Sonshu
    www.thesonshu.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never knew the name! These are gorgeous... I've been craving a headpiece like this. Nicole Richie has been wearing them a lot and for some reason I think I could pull one off - doubtful :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is all so beautiful! The fish eyeliner is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always adored these. Never knew the name! They are always so exquisite!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great info regarding Jewellery. It's of crucial reference regarding online material similar to mang tika. Thanks for posting it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great info regarding Jewellery. It's of crucial reference regarding online material similar to mang tika
    . Thanks for posting it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are so pretty! I would like to get one some day! Greetings from Germany!

    ReplyDelete